Working as part of a larger team of business consultants and project managers, the Senior Technical Lead is responsible for the handling of all technical issues/topics encountered in the day to day requirements of designing, demonstrating and implementing products within the BluJay Global Trade Network (GTN).
We utilize a number of technologies including some of the usual suspects for storage and application programming (i.e. Oracle/SQL and C#.Net/Java) and a number of web technology tools and libraries (e.g. JSPs, Struts, jQuery, ASP.NET, WebAPI, AngularJS, jQuery) on the front end of our applications. For systems integration, many protocols are used to facilitate connecting with our customers including web services and a multitude of transfer protocols (RESTful APIs, JSON/XML, Web Services, Service Bus/Queues, SFTP, AS2, queues, etc...). This means our technical consultants have the opportunity to learn and apply skills in everything from interface development to back end business logic.
• 4 year Technical Degree
• 10+ years previous development experience
• Experience in team leadership
• Experience in a consultant or professional services capacity
• Understanding of databases (Oracle or Microsoft SQL Server a plus)
• Strong database design knowledge and extensive SQL experience
• Capable of working across sectors. Experience of end-to-end development lifecycle
• Experience integrating systems, parsing data from files into application objects and vice versa
• Comfortable working directly with customer technical and business resources
• Understanding of java or C#.NET (desirable) and other coding software
• Good communication skills (both written and verbal) both remotely and face-to-face
• Ability to listen and interpret customer queries
• Good problem solving skills
• Understanding of the Freight Forwarding, Customs (Import / Export / NCTS) or Transportation industry processes and flows
• Ability to work well within a team, supporting other team members where required
• A thorough knowledge of business-to-business E-Commerce, both over the web and traditional EDI
• Microsoft Office
• Strong English speaking/writing skills
• Hands-on experience with Jasper/iReports
• Familiarity with one or more internet infrastructure technologies such as Crystal Reports, Java, XML, XSLT, Unix, Linux and Enterprise Service Business Solutions etc. will be an added advantage.
• Understanding of Unix/Linux or Microsoft operating systems
• Understanding of JSON or XML data structures; ability to write and interrogate JSON or XML/XSD
• Familiarity with one of more of the following tool: Eclipse, Mercurial, Subversion, Visual Studio Team Services
• Understand of issue tracking tools (JIRA a plus)
• Experience of data loading using SQL/Loader and/or creating bespoke upload/update scripts
• Understanding of Unix/Linux operating systems
• Understanding of XML data structures; ability to write and interrogate XML/XSD
• Understanding of mobile application development environment
• Understanding of java code
• Prepared to work out of normal working hours when required
• Works with a designated project manager, project team members, clients/users and colleagues to design, test and deploy integrated solutions, using Company tools.
• Documents all work using department standards, methods and tools, so that they can be supported by other members of the business, e.g. support or development.
• Attends client/user meetings and presents issues and solutions both verbally and in writing.
• Analyses and documents technical requirements
• Drives development standards and processes for the Professional Services Organization
• Creates technical specifications, in particular interface specifications and data mapping guides, based on customer specific functional requirements to enable development by a programmer.
• Ensures that design documents are appropriately distributed, reviewed, discussed, modified and ultimately approved
• Involvement in creation of costed business proposals for technical components in cooperation with the sales teams, project managers or business consultants for presentation to clients.
• Keeps up-to-date with advances, approaches, techniques and technologies etc. as they relate to the role.
• Assists the development team as necessary in terms of testing fault fixes, customer patches.
• Able to drive On Site workshops with potential and existing clients to discuss architecture and technical design
• Preparation of requirement, functional and technical specifications
• Documents all work using department standards, methods and tools, so that they can be supported by other members of the business, e.g. support or development
• Keeps documentation and internal knowledge base up-to-date.
• Technical implementation work, including but not excluded to:
o Printer setup and configuration
o Application of software and database patches
o Configuration of middleware layer
o Resolve connectivity issues
o Design and development of data interfaces between systems
o Master Data loading as part of project configuration
o Interface definition, customization, setup, testing and support
• Work within an implementation team directly addressing customer requirements
• Possess the talent to undertake and solve complex problems
• Handle multiple assignments/projects simultaneously
• Properly set priority and order for work
• Ask for help and provide it to others
• Mentor less experienced business consultants in software design and software tools
• Understand your skills and your talents and apply them appropriately
• Learn and apply new technologies and business concepts
• Maintain personal accountability for getting things done on time and with quality results
• Work effectively both in a team environment as well as independently
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision
• Able to design, develop and maintain customized solutions and direct others in the design and development efforts
• Able to design test plans, perform testing and ensure high quality delivery of software and direct others in the same endeavor
• Able to dictate and evangelize software development best practices for a Professional Services environment
• Able to lead a team of technical resources to assist in implementations, assist in writing software tools
• Able to manage career growth for employees within the team
• Able to ensure team is busy, properly utilized and focused on tasks meeting the needs of the company’s business
• Able to develop and grow a technical team to meet the business’s needs
• Able to architect, design and develop software to help streamline implementations
• Able to develop and adhere to project plans, deliveries and timelines for technical projects
Other Responsibilities: Apply Now
• Ability to follow processes & procedures but also to challenge and improve where necessary
• Test new product functionality utilising standard quality assurance procedures
• Keep fully abreast of new functionality and be able to demonstrate same
• Participate in project tasks when requested
• Sales Support
• General office and / or home office responsibilities
• Extensive keyboarding and looking at a computer monitor
• Up to 50% travel